Oil Well Engineering Co Ltd
The only British manufacturer of oilfield equipment after World War 2 was the Oil Well Engineering Company (O.W.E.Co Ltd) at Cheadle Heath, Stockport.
Made up of a consortium of Shell, BP, Iraq Petroleum Company, the UK Government and the National Supply Company of America they entered into arrangements for the O.W.E. Co Ltd to manufacture in the UK National Supply's oil rigs and other associated equipment under licence.
O.W.E. Co Ltd was the largest manufacturer of oilfield equipment outside the USA employing up to 1,000 people during World War 2 and around 700 during the 1950's.
American owners National Supply closed the Oil Well Engineering works at Cheadle Heath in 1998 after investing around £4m in the factory only the year before.
Throughout the 1950's Edward Beck & Son Ltd were contracted to deliver vast amounts of oil well drilling equipment on behalf of the Oil Well Engineering Company Ltd to Liverpool docks for export to the Persian Gulf.
A side view of the unusual shaped load which was destined for Liverpool Docks.
Click on image to view full size.
Seen here parked on Whitworth Street, near the centre of Manchester, this particular street was a designated parking area for heavy goods vehicles in those days a far cry from the parking meters that abound in the area today.
6x4 FG Foden S18 Reg No HGB 631 arrives at Liverpool Docks and awaits unloading on the quayside.
The ship was owned by Strick Line, who had regular sailings out of Liverpool docks and were one of the principle shipping lines serving ports in the Persian Gulf, taking equipment for the oilfields throughout the 1950's.
Foden ballast tractor Reg No ODB 832 and it's load are seen here parked up for the weekend on Whitworth Street close to the centre of Manchester which was a designated parking area for heavy goods vehicle throughout the 1950's and 1960's.
Covered with a tarpaulin to protect it from the elements during the weekend the Foden is coupled up to a purpose built trailer measuring 15ft 6in built by the Oil Well Engineering Co Ltd destined for the Persian Gulf.
The steam engines in the picture were 'pilot' engines used for shunting carriages at the near by Central Station.
Parked outside the depot on Greg Street this huge packing case of Oil Well Engineering machinery is seen here on a brand new Dyson low-loader ready for departure to Liverpool Docks.